Monday, May 13, 2013

Prompt

Prompt: I found the strangest thing in my pocket...

I found the strangest thing in my pocket today,
A thing that wasn't there when I got dressed this morning,
A thing that seemed so out of place, though it may have
Just been a thing to be given without warning.
A small piece of paper folded up smaller,
Scribbles written in crayon on the top,
I set my luggage aside to unfold it with care
Making sure I wouldn't rip it or drop it.
A picture hidden inside, messy and bright
Maggie and I standing in light,
Next to a tree with a hole in the trunk,
And a sun in the corner of the page,
I held her hand, I was in my suit and tie
She was in a yellow dress, her long brown hair drawn bluntly.
"I love you daddy, come home soon,"
I smiled softly and read,
"I'll read a story every night, and I promise I'll go to bed."
I folded the paper gingerly, and walked into the airport with my bags,
I might have been headed to India now, but my heart stayed right at home with Mags.

0 comments:

Post a Comment