Friday, March 1, 2013

Prompt

What does "hitch a wagon to a star" mean?

Never a day goes by that I don't hear my mother's favorite phrase reminding me of my ever-present lack of martial attachment. "Hitch your wagon to a star" indeed. I have no need for some foolish man intruding upon my life under the assumption that he might be doing me a favor of "granting" his name to mine. I have my own power in my home, having order of many servants and the respect of our city. Being the Duke's daughter grants me a certain amount of that privilege; I have earned the rest of it.
Every day my carriage delivers me to the market so I may peruse fine shops and mingle with the people. I find no pleasure in such lowering of my station, but if I wish to grasp a future position of power, I must leave an appropriate impression upon those smaller than I. Such small peoples may go unseen and when bound together, hold more strength than those of finer birth understand. But I have befriended such commoners and I am prepared to do whatever else necessary so that I may never be controlled again.
No man will stand in my way, and soon enough, neither will my mother.

-Kris

0 comments:

Post a Comment