Friday, March 1, 2013

Prompt

WARNINGS: you may never look at plastic bags the same way

 Plastic bags. How they crinkle and creak. All wadded up into slimy damp balls or strewn about the parking lot, they lodge in me a deep fear. The very crackle sends shivers up my spine.
  Once, I had a dream that plastic bags took over the entire world. They crept over the faces of the humans and suffocated them in their beds. Then, they took to the streets and blew like tumbleweeds to the center of the city where they combined to form a terrible monster, which towered to the very tops of the buildings. Rattling and rustling, it sent the surviving humans to the sewers and droves where they instead lay forgotten in the running water. With that final image, I awoke with a fear that would never extricate itself from my mind.
  Now, each time I glimpse a plastic bag gliding through the parking lot, being used as a trashcan liner in a home, or lined up in a grocery store, I know that it is only a matter of time before they become fed up with their low, nearly forgotten state and rise.

-Layne

0 comments:

Post a Comment